Friday, February 11, 2011

directionally challenged

The following gem was submitted by Jamie (read about her trials and tribulations as a long distance girlfriend here!).  She found herself lost in both Manslation and the city of Manhattan when she received this vague text message from a male friend:


Takeaway: It is a well-known stereotype that men do not like to ask for directions.  They are much more comfortable wandering around aimlessly until they stumble upon their intended destination.  Don't be surprised when they expect the same from you.

4 comments:

  1. I don't even understand it myself, but I am definitely guilty of it. So many times I have left my GPS inside the center console of my car, told my sister to let me focus, and drove in circles till I figured it out.

    Yeah, it made the trip twice as long, but so what, I got it didn't I?

    This is funny though. Read it a few times before realizing that she shouldn't really be looking for a "hole in the wall."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you posted this Meg! I cannot express my confusion upon receiving the above request. The best part is, when I called him to try and clarify where we were to meet, I was met with opposition. Immediately he was on the defensive that cross-streets and an actual address were not needed, for there is only one "hole in the wall" south of Gramercy.

    End Result: we met on a random street corner in the 20s, and he "felt" his way to the "hole in the wall," getting lost along the way. I'm happy to hear that at least one male, Elvin, has the courage to admit he may need help with directions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asking for directions is taking the easy way out and thus accepting defeat. It's not the destination, but the journey that's important in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elvin and Marcos, thanks for the male input and trying to justify this phenomenon! Your perspectives made me laugh.

    Jamie, isn't it interesting how we always end up suffering so that men don't have to "take the easy way out and accept defeat"?

    ReplyDelete